Monday, November 13, 2006

The Importance of Volunteering

Originally published: The Record (New Jersey)
DARA AVENIUS
PARAMUS HIGH SCHOOL
December 26, 1995 Section: STUDENT LIFE Edition: All Editions Page: e04 The Record DARA AVENIUS


In 1982, when I was 5, I had to go into the hospital for major surgery. Luckily my mom had read an article about AIDS, and had my relatives donate their blood in case I needed a transfusion.

Four years later, I went to my first and so far only funeral for an AIDS victim. When I was in ninth grade, I went into the Village and found a card asking people to volunteer at a dance to fight AIDS. I happily signed up and started raising money.

When it came time for the AIDS walk that spring, I signed up, raised a whole lot of money, and went to the Village for the walk. What I got out of it most was that I saw how far selflessness goes to make people happy. I had to contribute only $75 to participate in each of the events, but like most people I contributed more than that. If it is for charity and helping other human beings, why be stingy?

I started volunteering because of my own experience and also because the school that I was attending at that time required 40 hours of community service for graduation. Although I'm not graduating from that school, I still try to do community service. This year it is hard because it is senior year; the community service I do is through a club I'm in at school. I wish I could do more.

I really hate it when people say that they don't want to volunteer because they think the money doesn't get to the people that it is supposed to. There is a lot more to volunteering than just money.

All content © 1995- The Record (New Jersey) and may not be republished without permission.
All archives are stored on a SAVE (tm) newspaper library system from MediaStream Inc., a Knight-Ridder Inc. company.

No comments: